Atlanta PD suspected Rayshard Brooks of having had too much to drink.
The 27-year-old father of three was captured on police bodycam footage as he attempted to resist arrest on Friday night. A scuffle ensued, during which cops and Brooks attempted to wrestle control of a taser. CCTV footage then shows Brooks attempting to flee from the police, only to be shot in the back. He collapsed in the Wendy’s car park as shocked onlookers watched on.
– The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is now looking into the incident, says police were responding to a call about someone falling asleep at a drive-through and blocking cars.
– The officer who shot Brooks was terminated, and a second officer has been placed on administrative leave.
– Less than 24 hours after Brooks’ death, Atlanta police chief Erika Shields resigned, according to Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.
– The killing has sparked outrage and fresh anti-police brutality protests, just weeks after the killing of George Floyd under a police officer’s knee unleashed civil unrest across the US.
– Protesters burned down the Wendy’s restaurant where the incident took place
Check out http://rt.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/RTnews
Follow us on VK https://vk.com/rt_international
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/RT_com
Follow us on Instagram http://instagram.com/rt
Follow us on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/rttv
#RT (Russia Today) is a global #news network broadcasting from Moscow, London, Paris and Washington studios to over 100 countries. RT is the first news channel to break the 1 billion YouTube views benchmark.