Never. Never, had they seen anything like it. Never, did they think it could get to this. Never, did the residents of Paradise, CA think a fire would actually swallow their community whole.
“It was just like in the movies,” said 81 year-old Paradise resident, Bobbie Covington. “I was stuck in a line of traffic and cars were blowing up around me from the heat.”
The Camp Fire, which was at 35% containment as of Wednesday night, is on record as the most deadly and destructive fire in California’s history, having killed 56 people and destroying 8,817 structures, as of Wednesday evening.
“I called my son and said, ‘I love you, I’m not going to make it out of this,” said Covington, who lost her home of 45 years to the flames.
While investigators are still looking into what started the Camp Fire, a coalition of lawyers filed a lawsuit Tuesday, accusing PG&E of negligence for how they handled the power lines when conditions worsened.
“If they cut the power off the night before, this wouldn’t have happened,” said Paradise resident Cindy Heike, 59, who lost one of her properties.
PG&E, which expects to pay about $2.5 billion for its role and the losses in 14 wildfires last year, said they, “will fully cooperate with any investigations.”
Meanwhile, fire crews continue to work on putting an end to the Camp Fire and residents are left coming to terms with what was unimaginable.
Subscribe to VICE News here: http://bit.ly/Subscribe-to-VICE-News
Check out VICE News for more: http://vicenews.com
Follow VICE News here:
More videos from the VICE network: https://www.fb.com/vicevideo